Monday, October 1, 2012

Bored With Printing - Update on Hip Replacement

I think I set a new hospital record or sorts with my hip surgery. I went into surgery around 11:30 a.m. on Wednesday of last week and was standing outside the hospital with my walker standing over to the side on Friday at 10:30 a.m.
The doctor was great, the orthopaedic hospital looked more like a high end Hyatt, and the occupational and physical therapists were fantastic. I had the newer anterior total hip replacement and the normal recovery time is about half the time with few if any muscles requiring to be cut.
Once the OT showed up Thursday morning and showed me how to move and swivel my right leg off the side of the bed, which up until that point I was convinced was permanently paralyzed due to the nerve block they gave me, it was all over as far as keeping me in bed eating hospital food.
The PT's showed up and were in total shock when they walked into the room a few minutes later and discovered that I was already practicing on my own using the walker, they said, "Ok smart ass, show us what you can do without killing yourself," and they walked me to one of the hospitals large concrete staircases (as opposed to those little playhouse 3-step staircases they use in physical therapy, and said show us what you can do. I walked up and down 12 stairs, and that was about it. I was discharged Friday morning. It actually could have been Thursday evening but for all the paperwork that is involved.
I don't want to make light of it, or to sound like I am bragging, but I am proud. It is a serious operation but the stars were aligned and I was mentally prepped for the operation. And the two occupational therapists I had, plus the two PTs, were very encouraging that I should take charge of my own recovery.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home